Friday, November 16, 2007

Deconstructing Starbucks...

As I sit in my friendly neighborhood Starbucks drinking my $1.85 venti green tea, I quickly wonder why would I pay $1.85 for a cup of tea when I have the exact same tea at home. Is it that hard to heat up water?

In fact, the most expensive drink here is a holiday-spirited Peppermint Mocha at $4.40. That combo of flavors doesn't really interest me. Is it really worth that?

So why is there a continuous stream of soccer moms, high school students, and casual dressed business men buying their $3.50 soy lattes? I'm sure it's not the coffee and definitely not the soy. The funky chairs and music and nice barristas add some value, but the people come for the CUPS. Holding a Starbucks cup makes you look and feel cool! Who can put a price on cool? Starbucks! 29 cents for the coffee and soy milk... $3.21 for a cup of cool...

No comments: